Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Observations

Dear Dedicated and Inspired Readers,

I have no idea why I wanted to start this post that way, but I believe that I enjoy it, and I'm in a strange mood at the moment where I pretty much go with every whim that hits me. That may involve climbing to the top of the tower in the main square of town, especially because I haven't done that yet. It's a beautiful day here, I'm quite content with it, the air is slightly colder than yesterday, but if you lie in the sun or are moving about it's pleasantly warm and definitively spring-like.

However, carissimi, these are not my observations. The following are.

1. Italians live to eat. I love these people, like no other. They told us originally that they had fairly light dinners and that lunch is the main meal, breakfast 9 times out of 10 consisting of no more than a cup of coffee and a piece of bread. Let's just recount my normal daily food consumption:

Brekkers (don't ask, I just really liked that word. I'll probably feel idiotic about typing it in about... oh let's say 10 minutes. Also note that though I say that I will feel idiotic, I will do nothing to change what I have written.): One cappuccino, freshly made in a fancy shmancy machine, which I am convinced every Italian household owns. The cappuccino is the size of a small cereal bowl, the amount of caffeine in it is the only reason I get through the 730 am mornings. One container of yogurt, normally pineapple, which is delicious. This morning it was strawberry, which was less good. One or two slices of bread, smothered with either Nutella, which I swear is a gift from God, or apricot marmalade. If I'm still hungry, or if I want, I can grab an orange for the road.

Breaktime: We have a little break during class, where you can get a coffee. Another cappuccino is consumed here, sometimes with fruit, sometimes with cookies. There's a bakery right across the street from the university, this is a bad idea because it smells like heaven all the time. Want.

Lunch: A panino, normally on foccaccia with proscuitto, roasted red peppers and mozzarella, toasted in the oven. If not, then I get a slice of pizza, which is also delicious. Lunch is normally consumed in La Piazza Dal Campo, because it's beautiful and warm and sunshiny, and that's where people go. Other observation about this location to follow.

Dinner: This is the kicker, I was expecting only pasta. They are liars, light dinner, psh. They start you with a gigantic bowl of pasta, something that would normally pass as a full on meal in itself at Olive Garden, followed by a piece of meat, normally about the size of a fist. This is accompanied by veggies of various types or a salad, depending on Luanna's mood. On top of this they have an antipasto which are little toasted pieces of bread with different spreads on them, Luanna made one that is like a pesto which is fresh and light and delicious, and another that is meaty and delicious and amazing and I could literally eat the entire jar and not think twice about it. Along with the meal there is loads and loads of bread, which has been warmed and lightly toasted in the oven, which you can drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and rub with garlic. I love me some garlic. Seriously, I eat probably about 5 slices of this bruschetta. After that, there is more fruit, normally an orange or an apple, depending on what's around. The past few nights there have been sweets on top of that, like a baked apple tort or these little fried rice balls that have a slight orange taste and are sprinkled with sugar called Fritellini. I think that's what they're called anyway. They're amazing. But yes, dinner is huge here, I have no idea how I'm not 400 lbs already.

2. People here make out everywhere. Not even kidding. I was sitting in Piazza Dal Campo and there was a couple literally lying on top of each other going at it. And there was another set on the other side. And when I was lost in Florence trying to find my hotel? Sets of them everywhere. It's crazy, you can't lie down on the Campo, but you can make out furiously with your boyfriend. It's a funny world.

3. Italian men are insane. The older they get, the stranger they are. Younger Italian men will plug their cell phone numbers into your phone, and continually call you and drive insane distances to come and see you (Jane had a friend from Genoa drive 2 hours to come hang out with us for a night. Italians are insane). Then they also find it acceptable to give you their phone numbers even if they have girlfriends/fiances. And then, when they get older, they walk down the middle of the street, defying all cars to run them over. Italians, they're a special breed of something.

4. I wish I could remember what I was going to write here, I had a whole bunch of different things I wanted to write. I find that my English isn't as great as it could be, it's definitely not as descriptive. I wrote a poem yesterday in Italian that sounded beautiful, but when I translated it into English, it sounded very trivial and lame. This saddened me, and has somehow split my love for the two languages. I love that there are so many descriptors in English, mostly because I actually know them and can use them whenever I want, but I also love the flow and sound of the collective words in Italian. It's just so pretty to hear when it's read and spoken, and I love making the different sounds. English isn't as... flowy. Or at least I don't have enough of a mastery of the language to make it that way.

Anyway, this post is sufficiently long enough. I hope all is well back in the States!!!

A presto!

No comments: