Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Limited, Internships, and The End of College

Monday afternoon, approximately 20 minutes before one of my classes, I received a call from Winterthur to schedule an interview. I was ecstatic, naturally. I had applied for an unpaid internship and hadn't heard anything back (mainly because I'm much less consistant about reading my gmail than my udmail). However, they wanted to meet on Wednesday. Two days later. I agreed, hung up, and then went into full fledged panic.

I've been moving stuff out of my apartment willy nilly over the past couple of weeks, and naturally I had to cut a large amount of my clothing just to make the final haul easier. One of the first things to go, again because I just wasn't thinking, were my dress pants and nicer shirts. And even if I did have them, I would still not have anything really professional to wear.

Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours before I'm supposed to meet them, I head to the Christiana Mall. After a totally hopeless look around the department store, I headed out to The Limited. I knew they had more business-y looking things, but I never imagined how much of it I absolutely love. I want to be a business professional. And buy everything ever from their store.

Everything they have is flattering. The jackets have cute cuts, interesting details, good structure. Every coat I put on made me feel skinny. Every skirt I put on made me feel sexy. I want everything they have. EVERYTHING. I've never had anything that fit that well, it was almost tailor made for my body. Crazy. So yes, all of my professional wear shopping will be bought there, and I highly recommend that every other female in the world do it too. Plus the sales associate was so helpful and was pulling things for me to try. I finally settled on a black skirt with cute stitching and a matching short sleeve black jacket, and one of the best fitting button down shirts I've ever seen. I am in love with a store.

Anyway, finally properly dressed for the job I showed up 20 minutes early. I think the interview went really well, I've always loved Winterthur, and ever since I figured out the back roads the drive has become as beautiful as the place. I really hope that I get the internship, even if it is unpaid and Winterthur is an hour from my house in Philly. We're surveying the silver in the estate and evaluating the condition of the laquer coating that was applied 25 years ago to see how bad the damage is and to prioritize what gets fixed first. I love the country estate, I've only been in it once but I could spend all day there. It's beautiful. Everything is beautiful. I want to be there. Only thing is now I have to brush back up on my chemistry, because dear goodness is that rusty and a half.

After the interview I went and talked with Mark Anderson, one of the furniture conservators at Winterthur. He was extremely helpful and I should have introduced myself ages ago after talking to him on the phone. I need to just suck it up sometimes and not be so shy. Anyway, he gave me a list of people to call and ask about possible work or help or anything and a list of books that I should get if I want to be in this field.

As for the end of college...

I turned in my last paper on Tuesday. I had my last critiques on Wednesday. Tuesday next week is my final for History of Rock. Today I have an optional internship meeting over 6 hours that I will attend most of. Thursday following I turn in all of my reports for my internship. Saturday is Graduation. Sunday I move out. Crazy crazy crazy.

No comments: