Monday, June 1, 2009

The great move home

To start, congrats to the class of 2009.

After graduation on Saturday, Matt and I headed back to my apartment to pack up a few more things before my mom was supposed to come the next day. Instead, we passed out to Kung-fu Panda, which is always excellent.

Sunday morning rolls around, it's about 11:30, and I decide we should go eat something before packing up. Mom's supposed to be here around 12:30, 1, so that's plenty of time to eat and start getting things together. At 1 I get a phone call, saying she'll leave in the next 15 minutes. At 2:30 I get another phone call saying she's going to take care of some stuff at home and then leave. At 3:45 I get a call saying she's on the Blue Route. Needless to say, I'm pretty cranky because everyone else in the world is packing up, and I need to make sure Matt gets out and past Dover before the race lets out. Thankfully Matt is a pretty patient person, otherwise I'm pretty sure moving day would have ended our relationship. I honestly think it brings out the worst in people.

Anyway, but about 2 we had everything packed up and in a pile in my room. We decided to start packing things up, which is not the thing I am best at. I can kind of visualize how things are going to work, but for some reason my brain decided it just didn't want to do that yesterday. We finally got all the crap into my car, all that was left was my bed, a dresser, and my desk sans drawers. I'm continually amazed at the amount of stuff that my car can hold, it's a constant reaffirmation of why I love it so much. We didn't need to get a Uhaul or a moving van, or any kind of anything. We took the company pick-up truck, put the bed, the desk, and the drawers in that, and we were done. Matt and Mom took off after everything was loaded, I stayed behind to finish up cleaning. Matt needed to get going to beat traffic, Mom needed to get going to beat the rain.

About an hour and a half later, I was finally finished. I scrubbed the walls, filled holes, cleaned toilets, showers, sinks, mirrors, vacuumed, and wiped out the kitchen counters and drawers. The last thing to do was just drop off my keys and call it a day.

I've been trying my best to make the transition from school apartment to my house as smooth as possible, but I severely underestimated the amount of crap that is still in my room. Over the past 8 or so years I've been in this room, I've accumulated an astounding amount of crap. There is even more stuff in the basement that I have to go through, my bathroom has hair product and makeup I haven't used since I was first introduced to it at age 12. It's a lot of just... stuff. It's ok though, I guess, I'm just throwing stuff away right and left. I've moved a bunch of things out of my room to make more space, I've consolidated the amount of clothing I have and severely cut back on shoes and purses. If I don't wear it, I don't need to keep it in my room.

As far as the room itself goes, I'm trying a slightly new layout for my stuff. What I'd love to do is paint so that the wall color and my bed color don't clash so horribly.

We'll see if that happens.

No comments: