Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Study on Sleep

I haven't been sleeping lately.  Well, that's only partially true.  I've been getting about 4 hours of solid sleep, followed by 3 to 4 hours of restless, tossing and turning, staring at the clock sleep.  Friday, after Dad's knee surgery, I went to the local Rite-Aid and picked up 200 tablets of melatonin to help me sleep.

Melatonin is a natural substance that your body produces to make sure you stay asleep.  Apparently, I don't get nearly enough of this.  Also included in these little pills is 100% of your daily value of vitamin B6, which is something you're supposed to have to be happy.  Anyway, I took my first one last night.

I took it, brushed my teeth, changed into my pajamas, checked my emails and all the other things I do before climbing into bed, and when I finally laid back, my eyes just closed. My whole body felt heavy, but in a really good way.  Every way that I laid I was comfortable.  I fell asleep smiling.  I spent the first half asleep period dreaming I was a like a dandelion seed, floating over a giant field of buttercups and wildflowers on a wonderful summer breeze. 

Unfortunately, that lasted until about 3:30, about 5 hours after taking it.  After that, while my eyes stayed firmly shut, I wasn't comfortable.  I wasn't asleep. I had a headache pounding in my right temple.  I'm pretty sure that's what lead to my less-than-sunny mood.  I woke up sad, spent the beginning of the morning crying to Matt via text message about how my life is so terrible and lonely, finally snapped out of it around 2 or so, only to sink back into it again.  I can't quite blame it on the meds, since I've only taken it once and since I've been a complete emotional wreck over the past week, so it's probably a culmination of things.

Anyway, I'm going to try to take round 2 tonight and see if it goes well!

See you all in dreamland.

No comments: