Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Where to next?

It's been a while.

I have a new resolution, I'm going to write in this more, and I'm going to try to be more positive.  Monday was Jess's 24th birthday, and I've decided that she wouldn't want me to be unhappy.  She'd want me to go out and live and experience everything that I can.  That's just the kind of person she was.

With that in mind, I'm trying to take a positive outlook on next year.  Since grad school is not in my immediate future (read: did not get in), I'm free to do other things.  I'm looking into internships and jobs in conservation to try to boost my application, I'm also looking into taking an art class or two and maybe a refresher chem course to get back in the game.  I'm also trying to decide where  I want to live next, which depends relatively heavily on where my next job is going to be.  As much as my boss would really like me to stay where I am, I think it's time to move on.  I'm not as happy here as I should be, and it's not getting me anywhere closer to where I want to be.

That being said, I'm keeping my eyes open to different job opportunities that may not neccesarily be linked to conservation.  I'm taking an aptitude test to find out what my natural skills are to help me see what other kinds of work I would be able to be satisfied in.  I've learned that I am not content in a desk job, but I do like interacting with people much more than I originally thought I would.  I definitely know that I need something more intellectually stimulating than my current job, and I would really like something where I can see physical progress at the end of the day.  Either way, it'll be interesting to see what the results are, I'm open to new ideas.

All in all, I'm not too unhappy with how life is.  I can wish for it to be different, my drive to be shorter, my roommates to be home more... but things could be so much worse and have been before that I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful about the whole situation.

Hope you all are doing well :)

No comments: