Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Procrastination. Possibly #2.

Hey, be proud of me. I'm actually ahead of schedule for schoolwork.

Hence why I'm probably not too upset at the amount of Spongebob and Food Network I've watched over the past few days.

I started research for a 750 word paper a good week before it's due. I have books checked out, I've read them in full.

Be impressed.

I now know more about James Van Der Zee than I think I ever expected to. All in all, he's a pretty cool guy. Trained originally as a concert violinist and pianist, he stumbled across photography in the early 1900s, and ended up documenting the majority of the Harlem Renaissance. He's photographed all kinds of people, from Florence Mills to Bill Cosby. It's kind of awesome. The photos themselves are beautiful, he air brushed and touched up almost all of his photos. His images counter stereotypes of the day, depicting African Americans as refined, graceful, and proud as opposed to the happy-go-lucky slums that the average American envisioned.

This African American Art History class is a lot more interesting than I thought it would ever be. Granted, I like learning new interesting facts, mostly because I like spitting them out to other people later on, but the subject material is really captivating. Some of the paintings are simply gorgeous, and the photography that we've encountered is stunning. We talk about what makes a painting "African American" and if African American artists have an obligation to display their ethnicity in their artwork. We've learned about the history surrounding the artists. It's amazing.

It's just an interesting class, the only thing that is a problem is that the professor believes that the class runs for an hour, not the 50 minutes we're alloted. While it may be only 10 minutes, it's still really irritating. I start losing concentration right at 12:05, and by 12:15 when she lets us out, I've lost all interest at all and have spent more time thinking about what I can eat for lunch and what is at home.

Either way, I'm writing now to put off the whole writing it later. We'll see.

Later all.

No comments: