Monday, September 17, 2012

Good Morning, England!

Good Morning, England!

And what a morning it is.  It's a crisp 60 degrees out, blue skies with a light breeze.  It's perfect September weather here in London, and I couldn't have picked a better day to land.  In fact, while terrifying, this was quite possibly one of my best travel experiences via airplane (thank you British Airways.)  Besides having to walk through Luxury class, slightly less Luxury class, and Still-better-than-you class to Economy Cattle, the flight was really pretty wonderful.  Smooth flying, enough space (the middle person never showed.  Huzzah!), and we even landed 10 minutes early.  There was a fairly short wait to get onto the train that brings you to luggage claim, Border Patrol was a breeze, and both of my bags made the flight!  That's quite the improvement!

I can honestly say that I didn't really become excited about coming over until we were flying over Ireland (before that, I was asleep, and before that, I was a nervous wreck). Flying over the first of the British Isles was almost majestic.  It's so green here, and hilly.  There are just miles upon miles of what looks like nothing but patchwork farms and tiny towns, the roofs and windows twinkling in the early morning sunlight.  Then suddenly you're crossing the Irish sea, and then England appears.  Clouds pepper the sky, and fog clings in the nooks and crannies of the landscape like snow.  Cars start to appear, tiny and ant-like, crawling on their way to wherever they may be headed, towns grow and  become more frequent and the rivers become larger.  The rivers in and of themselves fit the landscape, twisting and turning with sharp curves like a ribbon doubled up upon itself, winding their way through the hills and valleys.  In all, England is beautiful.

I'm thrilled.

I have a few hours to kill until I can head into the city proper and examine my new home.  I think I'm going to like it :)

I hope all is well with everyone, I miss you all.

Love,
L


No comments: