Thursday, September 20, 2012

SoHo, or, Quite Possibly the Most Fun Ever


Hello hello!

I know what you're thinking.  "Liz, your sense of direction must be really just atrocious.  SoHo is in NEW YORK.  As in NEW YORK CITY.  Not London."  Trust me, I know I'm about as directionally challenged as they come (I have about 6-8 blisters on my feet from wandering helplessly through the streets of London.  Honestly, how on earth do people know where they are ever??), but SoHo has a British Counterpart across The Pond.  And it is GLORIOUS.

Just outside of Tottenham Court Road is a whole world of chic and "buzzy" bars that were packed with  post-work people looking for a drink.  The entire street was filled with life, lights, and sound.  So you can imagine my surprise when my cousin stops in front of a door that looks like something out of a serial killer movie.  The door is painted black, nestled in between two Chinese places, the paint is peeling, you can see the rusted metal beneath.  There's no sign.  There's nothing marking this to be anything other than some kind of broom closet.  The door opens, you climb up a flight of stairs, and it's beautiful.  The ceiling is covered in black mirrors, there are candles flickering on low glass tables.  The stools are covered in a rich dark fabric, the bar itself is old wood with a marble top.  And the drinks. Oh the DRINKS, people!  It's miraculous.  They're amazing.  The combinations of flavors and liquors is astounding, they're smooth, they're not overly sweet or tart, they have things like egg white foam that has some kind of pepper sauce in it that perfectly balances the sweetness of the beverage it floats on.  The lighting is perfect, the music is perfect, everything is perfect.  It's unreal.

And from there, the evening only got better.  We ended up eating in a little mexican place (little is definitely used loosely) where you could play foosball while you wait.  Not only was it fun to revisit my childhood (we had a foosball table in the basement) but we totally OWNED.  Embarassingly.  Like 10-2, 10-4 kinds of just utter blow-outs. Poor guys never knew what hit them.  The food was great, I tried cactus for the first time which was not bad at all, but everything was just fun.  It was great to catch up with my cousin and spend some time with her.

Anyway, I'm exhausted, I didn't get in until late last night and couldn't fall asleep until closer to 5 AM.

XO all,
L

No comments: