Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Random Memory

I was flipping through my high school yearbooks because I'm a little bit of a stalker on facebook and saw that a girl I knew of in high school had gotten married and I couldn't remember her name. This is my life. Anyway, I started to read through some of the things that people had written me, and I came to realize that high school was really not all that bad. I had some good friends and some great teachers. This, however, has nothing to do with that.

One of my best friends on earth is Brooke. I've known her for what seems like forever but she and I became really close in high school. This incident didn't happen then, but she wrote in one of her notes "PS. Liz to Pick Dandelions- Mr. Cook."

I had completely forgotten about it until I read it.

One day during 8th grade, when it was warm and pleasant out, I think towards the end of the year, I was sitting in my science class with my teacher Mr. Miller (I believe). It was warm enough to have the windows open, and in flies a yellow jacket. I'm terrified of bees. Absolutely terrified. Unluckily for me it decided to land right in my hair and refused to budge. Mr. Miller told me to hold still, and he swatted the bee out of my hair onto the ground and smooshed it with a book. In the process, he got stung and his finger swelled up immediately.

The next period was social studies, I was still freaking out from the whole bee thing and my friend Brooke happened to have both classes with me and recounted the whole thing to my teacher, Mr. Cook. He asked if I had thanked Mr. Miller, and I said that I had, but he insisted that I bring him a flower. So he wrote me a note- "Liz to Pick Dandelions- Mr. Cook."

That's right. I got a pass to go and pick flowers during class. Mr. Miller was appreciative, and it sort of became a running joke. I'd completely forgotten about it and laughed for a good minute or so just thinking about it.

Ah, middle school. That's the life.

No comments: